Using electronic signatures has changed the way we deal with paperwork. With the advent of technology, the traditional hassle of printing, signing, scanning, and sending documents is a thing of the past. If you are looking at how to sign a PDF electronically, you’re in the right place. Today, we’ll dive into the straightforward process of electronically signing a PDF, making your paperwork more efficient and eco-friendly.
What is an e-sign?
E-signatures are like writing signatures, but they are done on a computer. It’s a way to confirm your approval or consent to digital documents. It is popular due to its convenience, speed, and security.
Why should you use electronic signatures?
Electronic signatures are a game-changer for various reasons:
- Efficiency: Electronic signatures eliminate the need for printing, signing, scanning, and mailing documents. It saves time and resources, making the process significantly faster.
- Security: Advanced encryption techniques ensure the authenticity of electronic signatures, making them even more secure than traditional signatures.
- Accessibility: You can sign documents from anywhere with an internet connection and a device.
- Cost Savings: By reducing paper and printing costs, electronic signatures contribute to cost savings in the long run.
- Environmentally friendly: Going paperless reduces your carbon footprint and supports environmental conservation.
How to electronically sign a PDF
Now, let’s get into the nitty-gritty of how you can electronically sign a PDF document.
Step 1: Choose an Electronic Signature Tool
There are various electronic signature tools available online. DocuSign, Adobe Sign, HelloSign, and SignNow are some well-liked alternatives. These tools provide user-friendly interfaces that guide you through the signing process.
Step 2: Upload Your Document
After choosing your preferred tool, upload the PDF document you need to sign. You can usually do this by clicking the “Upload” or “Choose File” buttons on the tool’s dashboard.
Step 3: Add your signature
Once your document is uploaded, you must add your electronic signature. Most tools offer different ways to do this:
- Type Your Name: You can choose a font that resembles handwriting and type your name. The tool will then convert it into an electronic signature.
- Drawing: Some tools allow you to draw your signature using your mouse, touchscreen, or a stylus.
- Uploading a Signature Image: If you have a scanned image of your signature, you can upload it to the tool.
Step 4: Place your signature
After creating or uploading your signature, drag and drop it onto the designated signature field in the PDF document. You can also resize and reposition it to fit perfectly.
Step 5: Confirm and save
Once your signature is in place, review the document to ensure accuracy. Verify that your signature aligns with the context and that no important content is covered. After confirming, save the paper. The tool often lets you download the signed PDF or send it directly to the recipient.
Software about how to sign a PDF electronically
Here, we will discuss the most easy-to-use five software we can use to sign documents electronically.
- HelloSign: A Friendly Introduction to Signing
- DocuSign: The Professional’s Choice
- Adobe Sign: When Adobe Meets Signatures
- SignNow: Sign on the Fly
- PandaDoc: Beyond Signatures
HelloSign: A Friendly Introduction to Signing
It lives up to its name by having a simple design that even people who don’t know much about technology can use. HelloSign makes it easy to sign a lease, a contract, or a simple deal, no matter what. You can sign with the mouse, type your name in a font that looks like handwriting, or share a picture of your signature.
Here is the process to sign through HelloSign.
- Upload your PDF: After logging in, upload your PDF document to the platform.
- Create your signature: HelloSign lets you type your name in a font that looks like handwriting. Neat, right?
- Place Your Signature: Drag and drop your newly created signature onto the document. You can change its size and position as needed.
- Save and Send: Once your signature is in place, save the document and send it off.
DocuSign: The Professional’s Choice
DocuSign has made a name for itself as a trustworthy way to sign documents online. It is used by businesses, from small start-ups to large corporations with offices worldwide. With its various features, you can add more than just signatures to your papers.
You can also add initials, dates, and other form fields. DocuSign’s easy-to-use app walks you through the signing process step by step, so you don’t have to worry about getting stuck.
- Upload your PDF: Login, upload your PDF and choose the recipient.
- Add Your Signature: Click on the signature field, and DocuSign gives you various options. You can type, draw, or upload a signature image.
- Customize Signature Appearance: Adjust the size and style of your signature to make it just right.
- Place and Send: Drag your signature to the right spot and hit send. Your recipient can now sign, too.
Adobe Sign: When Adobe Meets Signatures
Adobe Sign is better because it works with Adobe Acrobat, the king of PDFs. If you usually use Adobe products, this tool will be a natural addition. Your Adobe account makes it easy to create and send papers for signatures. Because Adobe Sign’s interface is easy to use, it can be used by a wide range of people, from individuals to companies.
Here’s how it works.
- Upload your PDF: Log in to your Adobe account and upload your PDF.
- Use your Adobe ID: Adobe Sign uses your Adobe ID to create your signature.
- Place Your Signature: Click here to place your signature, and Adobe Sign does the rest.
- Review and Send: Take a final look at your document; if everything’s good, hit send.
SignNow: Sign on the Fly
SignNow helps when you’re in a hurry. This tool is proud of how quickly it works. It only takes a few minutes to upload a document, sign it, and give it to other people to sign. The app only gives you a few choices but focuses on getting the job done quickly. SignNow ensures you’re always on top of your signing game in the office or out and about.
Here’s how it works.
- Upload your PDF: Sign in and upload your PDF document.
- Type, draw, or upload: Choose your preferred signature method. You can write or upload an image.
- Place your signature: Click where you want it, and it appears magically.
- Save and Share: Save the signed document and share it with others.
PandaDoc – Beyond Signatures
PandaDoc is about more than just signatures. It makes it easy to sign documents online, and it is also a complete tool for managing documents. PandaDoc helps you with document-related tasks, from creating proposals to discussing contracts. Its many uses make it a top choice for businesses that want a system that does everything.
Here’s how it works.
- Upload your PDF: Log in and upload your PDF. PandaDoc can handle more than just signatures.
- Add a Signature Block: Insert a signature block into your document.
- Invite Recipients: Invite others to sign by entering their email addresses.
- Sign and complete: Sign yourself and guide others through the process. Once everyone signs, you’re done!
Q1: Are electronic signatures legally valid?
Yes, electronic signatures are allowed and have the same legal weight as handwritten signatures in most countries. However, the legality might vary based on local regulations and the document type.
Q2: Is my electronic signature secure?
Absolutely. Reputable electronic signature platforms use advanced encryption techniques to ensure the security and authenticity of your signature.
Q3: How to sign a PDF electronically through a smartphone?
Yes, most electronic signature tools have apps for smartphones and tablets that let you sign papers with them.
Q4: Do both parties need the same signature tool?
No, the recipient doesn’t need the same electronic signature tool you used to sign the document. Most devices allow recipients to view and validate electronic signatures without an account.
Q5: Can I remove or edit my electronic signature after placing it?
In most cases, no. Once your signature is placed, it’s considered final to maintain the document’s integrity. Always double-check before confirming.
Electronic signatures have simplified how we handle paperwork, making the process faster, more efficient, and more environmentally friendly. With many user-friendly electronic signature tools, signing PDF documents has always been challenging. Remember to choose a reliable agency, follow the steps to upload and place your signature, and enjoy the benefits of hassle-free document signing.